Old 08-28-20, 12:55 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
My $10 Vintage Schwinn find and I want to learn how to rebuild and repair it

So I知 brand new at wanting to learn all about Bike maintenance and repair. I知 52 and have never done much in the past beyond patching up tubes, adjusting brake pads, greasing my chain and putting new bar tape on my old bicycles when I was a kid.

I知 still trying to learn all the lingo when it comes to names of all the parts and stuff but I want to teach myself so I can learn to maintain and fix my own bikes as I get more into riding.

I finally received good news today that I no longer have to worry about my job furloughing me due to Covid so I now have the extra money needed to start learning what I need to.

So I致e just ordered a bicycle repair stand off EBay and I知 now looking at buying a basic bicycle repair tool kit. Thanks to another member friday1970 he suggested RJ the Bike Guy videos on YouTube and I知 determined to teach myself how to do this.

I picked up a 1984 Ladies Schwinn World Sport off Facebook marketplace for $10 last night and I was going to just have the bike shop help me with getting it street ready but I致e decided now that I want to learn to do this myself.

I know right off the bat I need new tubes and tires, handlebar tape and pedals but have questions about what else may need to be totally replaced on the bike. I致e taken some photos and if any of you experts can see something that looks like it needs replacing I would appreciate any advice. I知 not sure how to tell if the wheels/rims themselves are still ok and not bent slightly. I think the rear 6 speed cassette looks in pretty good shape and just needs to be cleaned up. The rear derailleur looks either really dirty or in just bad shape.

I think $10 was a pretty good price for the bike and I知 excited about learning how to rebuild it.