View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 02:25 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Regarding how this thread is titled... hype.... let's be honest, the 3x and 2x systems also can be called hype. Look at all the bikes advertised as having 21, 24, 27 speeds just based on multiplying the chainring with the cassette cogs. Obvious this is marketing BS. First, some gears are duplicated, some are near duplicates, and some are cross-chained. So the 27-speed bike only ends up with maybe 15 gears. Advertising 27, while only offering 15 - I call that BS marketing hype. Some manufacturers even go through the effort of putting permanent "21-speed" labels on the frame.

You can think about 1x drivetrains what you want. but you get what is advertised. 1x11 means 11 distinctive gears.... no BS promise of more than that.

I also bet 99% of riders (even touring) that don't do road racing are well served with the range offered by 1x12. And that has multiple range options (with different step sizes) for many people's taste. 11-50, 10-50/51, and 10-45. sure, some racer, roadie or some other people may be served better by 2x11 or 2x12, but that is a small number that really NEED the small steps.

What you choose is practically more determined by what spare parts are available where you tour. If you tour Africa, sure, 1x12 may be hard to come by. Compromises have to me made.
Likes For HerrKaLeun: