View Single Post
Old 06-28-20, 01:47 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Android or iOS? If Android, you may want to consider an offline solution. We (successfully) use Locus Pro + bRouter (the latter generates routes while offline) on Samsung Galaxy phones (S5/7/9).
hi gauvins, Android. I may have mentioned it, but we spent a few hours at an Orange phone store in Nantes and they were never able to get their orange system SIM cards working on our then fairly recent android phones. They even called and spoke with Quebec Telus phone people but there was some incompatibility, the exact details I've forgotten now.

I did have Maps.me on our phones, with preloaded OSM maps covering our route across France, and that worked fine for situating ourselves when we weren't sure, but I hadn't figured out how to put the Eurovelo 6 gpx route into maps.me, but really wasn't needed. The only issue was a few times when signage wasn't clear and towards the end of the trip when this would happen, this would upset my wife even if taking a small road was an easy solution.
I'm not really keen on using a phone for turn by turn bicycle use, but I guess are some point will have to deal with this, or some kind of GPS unit.
in general, I'm comfortable getting by, and have been for my whole life, using paper maps, asking the odd question, and a reasonably good sense of direction, to get from here to there. I do see though, how in cities, I should work out how to use modern technology, to save time.
I know you're a techno guy who enjoys this stuff a lot. I'm in the middle, both in interest and usage ability, but obviously need to get a better understanding of this for those times real world routes aren't clear, and specifically in urban areas.
I've been hesitant to buy a GPS unit because it wouldn't get used much, and they change quickly it seems, so hesitant to buy something that would be obselete in a short time.

thanks though for those android suggestions.