View Single Post
Old 08-21-20, 01:45 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
I wanted something a little larger (and with slightly more "aggressive" tread, but still roadworthy), so I bought a pair of:
Serfas Drifter Survivor 26 x 1.5 (38-559). These measure at ~36.7mm wide, and are "tall" like I was looking for. Pretty easy to mount, but they seem to be not the most round and true tire. On the stand, there is a slight "hop" in each of them (which might not be noticeable once I plop my fat bottom on the bike), and some side to side wobble. I spent some time (more than I would expect from a new tire) adjusting the seating in the rim, flipping them/switching the rotation direction, making sure the tubes were not bunched up (and I used plenty of talc powder to prevent sticking), trying to correct the "problems". They are better now, but not perfect. I have a few miles on them so far, have made some further "adjustments", and hope to put more miles on them soon. These will end up on my sorta-mountain bike at some point, after I can source larger Paselas.
Rene Herse makes a 26x1.8 that would be the absolute business on an XO-1. Hella spendy, but it's an XO-1... rad bikes should have rad tires. (It's also not my money!)

WRT to your non-round Serfas, you might try airing them down to as low as you can get away with and riding 5 or so miles on smooth pavement. I used to do this with crappy sew-ups and it rounded and smoothed them out a heck of a lot.

--Shannon