Old 04-24-20, 11:30 PM
badasbiker

Bikes: 1999 Orange Schwinn Heavy Duti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Improve older bike or get a new one?

Hi everyone. I am pretty dumb about bikes, but love them and want to learn. I want to get out on the road again but my bike has been sitting for 15 years, and I have gained a significant amount of weight since I have become disabled with arthritis. My doctor said cycling would be good for me and I enjoy it as stress relief. I was wondering if anything could be done to improve my current bike so that I can ride it at my high weight, or if i need to look for another bike.

My bike, a 1999 Schwinn Heavy Duti, a beautiful orange one that I got at a bike store, seems to have a pretty heavy steel frame (I would have to ask my dad about the welding on it) and big balloon tires. I think a spoke has fallen out of the wheel. Would the frame hold up under my weight, and what wheels could I get that would support me? I am 5'8" and would like a bike to support 400 pounds of rider and luggage. I am on a limited budget and don't want to have to buy a worksmen cycle, so my funds are limit to fix up this bike or get a used one. I probably have around $400 to play with. I also have a Schwinn Meridian trike, whose weight limit is 300 lbs. but I don't know if it is junk or not, since everyone says Schwinns are crap these days.

Thank you for your time. I would go to a bike shop but am pretty concerned about COVID and being around people. I desperately need to get out of my apartment and enjoy nature for stress relief!!! :-)

Last edited by badasbiker; 04-25-20 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar