View Single Post
Old 07-23-20, 11:14 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
It is semi-easy to get a USA pro license. It is essentially the old Cat 1. You (low 20 somethings) can do it making $1,000 from cycling and having the right person ask for you.
In MTB many have a pro license and are still pretty much rec cyclists. The same is true for Cat 1. Points and numbers are not needed if the kid is talented. USAC will forget the "guidelines" and just give the grade.
There are a bunch of juniors that do not have time to go through the upgrade program in the USA as they are racing other places. They are upgraded on a phone call. Same for pro.
You need to be at that level, but the rule book and points are for the older riders.
Ah ok. Back in the late 80's, early 90's, where I'm from we only had a few Pro domestic teams and if you couldn't get on one of those it meant shipping yourself to Europe and trying your luck there. I thought if I couldn't get on a domestic team, then forget it so I did. It wasn't like I was a great talent anyway, I was just faster than average, picked up some wins here and there but I was never going to earn much from it and would have been an average domestique at best.

Anyway, in my 50's now and living like a Pro with plenty of cycling time, racing when we can and chasing Strava KOM's!

This from yesterday's ride:

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 07-24-20 at 03:09 AM.