View Single Post
Old 02-24-21, 06:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
There are many different types of clamping systems, even within the general 1-bolt and 2-bolt categories, and the good thing is that, generally, they all work just fine. The 2-bolt concept grew out of the demands of MTBing and do offer superior clamp security. so if you’r going to be riding in a way that stresses the clamp, you want to thinking about that.

For typical road riding though, it’s nothing to worry about, and the biggest issue with the postis that you get the adjustment range you want, particularly since many saddles have shorter rails nowadays. You’ll notice some posts have the clamp area centered directly on the centerline of the post— this is zero setback— while others have the clamp offset from the centerline of the post, known as setback. Depending on where you want your saddle relative to the pedals and how much seat rail you have to work with, setback may be preferred.

Another consideration in posts is length, so be aware of that.

Material construction can be a big deal depending on what you’re looking for. Carbon fiber are the lightest generally, while titanium can be quite flexible, helping to smooth out bumps. Because of variability in size diameter and extension length, that’s master level stuff, though, and probably not something to bother with for someone who has never thought about posts before.

Personally, weight, style, and price are the big three factors for me, and I try to buy as light and cool as I can afford. FSA SL-K Setback carbon fiber posts fit the bill often for me apparently, as I have two, but I also like Deda’s single bolt road styling and USE’s unique Alien single bolt styles as well. I think titanium is the best post material by feel, and would run it more often if producers offered black anodize or some styling elements beyond natural ti color brushing, bead blasted, satin or whatever.