Old 02-13-18, 01:53 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Sportives/events are not races. Even though a "race" usually always happens during the sportive.

Anyhow......I'm going to be picking up a cx bike for my birthday come May. I'm tired of not having a bike to do gravel with, and would like to try to race given the fitness from roadie season.

From what I'm hearing, the discs would be worth it. I'm in about the $1000 +/- change range for a used one.

So, the relevant question to this thread is.........how would you allocate that $1000?

-Would you give up discs to be able to have Ultegra 1x (or Sram equivalent)?
-Are discs important enough that you'd even go down to below 105 even if it's just for mechanical discs?
-If you go down to cantis from discs.......is 1x11 even worth it over a 1x10 bike that's carbon instead of alum? In other words......is the 2 year old aluminum 11spd canti bike better than the 4 year old carbon 10spd canti bike?

This is kind of where I am. I've been looking at used alloy 105 Crocketts, TCX's, etc... all with cantis. You can get a 105 Haanjo with discs in that price range. But the top tube slopes.

Mind you, I'd probably also use this bike for a few non-USAC endurance gravel events that award places or are just for "finishing".
race cross or gravel events? $1000 should get you an alloy 105 mechanic disc cross bike. Mechanical vs hydro for cross doesn't matter as much as hand fatigue is less of a factor. 1x or 2x is personal choice, you can convert to 1x with a N/W chainring for $50 and a chainkeeper.