J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Well, you paid more than I did and I got mine factory direct. UPS took it to my door. What you did get that I didn't was the super paint job. Mine was painted with a single color dark sky blue metal flake, but Peter was using a local framebuilder and painter who was/is well known for his spectacular paint jobs but on mine, the prep work was poor and I had chipped paint on the lug points before I took the frame out of the box. (And, yes, UPS treated the box like precious cargo; this was not on them.) Five years later, I had crashed, had Peter build me a new fork and send it to me bare and had Ed Litton do a bronze metal flake paint job (for waaaayyyy too little money). That second try was a success! It's due for it's third this year but that last has served me very, very well.

Your paint was probably done by that well known outfit in San Diego. Peter went to them around when mine got Ed Litton's paint. Peter said it was far better for him, both business-wise and results-wise to UPS his finished frames across the country, get a rock solid paint job done and have the frame UPS'd back than seek out the very best local painter. Kind of a sad observation.

Did my math, By the time I had the second fork and a good paint job, I had $45 more into my frame than you. So, good work! Now build it up and ride the heck out of it! (Mine hit 50,000 miles last May while riding gravel in central Oregon.)

Ben
Mooney Brothers!