View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 01:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I think a few older people in this thread are hung up on the fact that when I use financing, I am temporarily borrowing money in order to make the purchase affordable. Their old-world views tell them that using credit is always bad, and they ignore several important points about why using financing can be a great idea, especially when the purchaser has motivation to hold onto their cash instead of significantly reducing their reserves. When used correctly, credit lets you keep your cash and enjoy and make use of what makes you happy today, all for the small premium of a nominal interest charge. Worrying about the few dollars per month of interest charges on an Affirm loan seems silly, given all the benefits provided by taking the loan in the first place.
Eh? What's that, sonny? Speak into my hearing aid! Speak up! Wait a minute...You're saying that you use financing in order to get something that you couldn't otherwise get? Whoa! Thanks for explaining that to me! After buying (and financing, to varying degrees) four houses over the past 25 years, I had NO IDEA that that is how financing works!

Maybe I am old (or just old-fashioned), but if I had to borrow money to buy a new bike, I wouldn't buy it. But then, maybe us old folks were raised to understand something called "deferred gratification."