View Single Post
Old 02-11-14, 09:36 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
Lifting 3x/week has made for some nice gains, as it does for every novice. As I'm ramping up intensity on the bike, though, it feels like the overall fatigue is starting to take its toll. I'm really enjoying it, and don't want to cut back, but 2x/week might be the best compromise if I want to get two quality bike workouts in each weekend.
Originally Posted by Trackliche
I know exactly what you mean. I followed the SS program for about 5 months (not my first time in the weight room, either), and got to the point where I was only adding 5lbs a week- every 3 workouts. Even with that, I was having some rough times with it. I also was having pretty poor performances on the bike- I think because I was constantly fatigued. I recently cut to 2x/wk in the gym. Since, I have felt way less tired. Fresher both on the bike and in the gym. So far, I've been able to add the 5lbs per workout (10lbs per week). Time will tell how maintainable this is.
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
I would say that for anyone who is not a pure sprinter- 2 days of lifting is plenty for most of the season. A block of lifting 3 days a week is great for maximizing strength gains during a period when bike work is not so intense (like during "base") and is likely the best way to get yourself strong before dropping gym days and going into slower gains or strength maintenance.. how long that block lasts could vary- maybe 4-6 weeks or 4-6 months…
I've really come full circle on this (and probably will continue spinning, as the topic torments me daily). I think just in the last month, I've continued to adapt to the point where squat workout doesn't affect the next day's bike workout that much. I still haven't cranked up the intense track workouts, so we'll see how that goes, but right now I'd very much like to continue 3x week. I just enjoy them.