Old 11-13-19, 02:28 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
Someone may have already mentioned this, but if you're looking for stems that long to go with short, shallow bars, have you considered Nitto steel or alloy bars with a slightly higher front end? The drop/reach on them is quite a lot compared to short, shallow road bars, but I have a set of steel B123s with a 6 degree, 130mm stem and run a couple of extra spacers under the front end. I've never, ever, detected the slightest bit of flex from them, (ymmv) but I can feel flex in most alloy road bars (3t, Zipp, Deda). Something to consider, even though it's not quite the answer to the question you're looking for. I think, if you can find the SB models, they are the ones with a 31.8 clamp, see the link

NEW NITTO

about halfway down the page.
I'd like to find a track bar with long reach, but shallow drop, ideally. I'm struggling with the idea of raising the bar up to compensate for a bar with too much drop, by angling-up the stem in order to get the hands in the preferred position, versus getting a bar which doesn't have as much drop to begin with---and keeping the stem more horizontal in relation to the ground. It seems now that very shallow bars are being devised, to position the hands in the preferred spot (while still keeping a tidy aero package, without the stem sticking up which would increase frontal area and drag).

I have a Pro Vibe 7S sprint bar which has too much drop, so if I was using that, I'd have to flip the stem to raise the hands. The Zipp I'm running has 80mm reach, which is going in the right direction, getting the hands out in front of me more, and shallow drop, again a positive...it just doesn't have rounded shoulders which would be better for standing starts to clear the forearms. If I could find a short-drop/long-reach bar with a sprint shape, I'd be stoked.

Examples of shallow drop with long reach, and nearly horizontal stem, from the recent 6-day: