View Single Post
Old 02-02-21, 03:31 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmyth12
New cyclist here. 19 years old. I got my first road bike about three weeks ago and have clocked up around 800km so far. I did an FTP test yesterday. It has my current FTP at 257 watts or 3.21 w/kg (since I weigh 80kg). What sort of level is this at for someone untrained with no previous cycling or endurance experience?

Also, would anyone be able to point me to some resources or research on FTP or power training?
I think you are looking for compliments. You are entitled to them: you are doing very well, and that's a promising start.

The Friel book is the bible, but honestly for FTP research and thoughts I'd do careful internet searching and reading (in other words, don't ask strangers on ******). There are a LOT of excellent information sources on the web that are free and easily accessible.

Your more significant challenge will be forging good concrete goals when you don't have a lot of experience.

Also: be nice to people when out riding, and for the love of God learn how to be safe when riding. I saw a new rider post a video on ****** a couple months ago of him doing a descent on a road outside Los Angeles where he was weaving in and out of pedestrians at 50mph - absolute idiot and didn't even have a clue how dangerous his footage showed him to be.

If you're going to log a lot of time on the roads, and at speed, safety is a big, big deal.