Old 05-17-20, 10:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Okay. Thanks. I feel better now.

as far as the build/refurb, I am going to need some hand holding and advice. I assume there is a better subforum for that? I'm comfortable searching YouTube for how-to but it would be great if anyone knows of a refurb/build thread. I'm not even certain what to look for as far as some of the replacement parts...

I guess some photos would help but I'm new here and can't post any yet.

Finally, I should note that lbs was not trying to take my money - I was hoping to have them do it and they kinda sent me on my way. I guess it would be pretty $$$ to have them do the deferred maintenance required?
Why not replace the tires/tubes and brake pads, then lube the cables and check to see that the derailleurs and brakes function adequately and the wheels are fairly true with no loose spokes, then ride the bike (google sheldon brown for questions on any of this). Replacing the parts mentioned (except wheels) is rudimentary, but will require that you procure tools (allen wrenches, crank puller, chainwhip, cassette tool, etc). Also, you'll save a bundle by purchasing the parts yourself. Can't see why the stem is unsafe unless it is aftermarket since there were thousands built that way, but check the forums.