Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3866 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
After reading your post again I think it needs some clarification so we and the broader audience are all on the same page.

You are absolutely correct that carbs contain 4 cal/g and that the correct method to measure for calories is by weight. Using the same source referenced in my post (https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...onamount=1.000) you will see that 1 cup of maltodextrin has a stated weight of 186.6 and a stated calorie count of 744. 186.6 * 4 = 745.48 so the referenced source seems to be generally accurate.

What would explain the difference between the info in my referenced source versus your stated calorie count in the 2 cups you use for your drink mix?DENSITY!

Looking at a specific product - Now Foods Carbo Gain Maltodextrin - at the same source (https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...n-maltodextrin) shows 1 cup at a weight of 100g, which, multiplied by 4cal/g, yields a calorie count of 380. Same 1 cup volume for both items, significantly different weights... therefore significantly different calorie counts.

If you're using Carbo Gain (or something with a similar density) in your recipe then 2 cups would be right in line with the ~750 calories you referenced in your post. So for folks following along who might want to try your recipe, knowing the specific product you use would be helpful because it has a specific density that greatly influences the calorie count. For now I will have to assume you're using Carbo Gain or a product with similar density.

I'm not sure if you addressed carbs/hr. within the context of your drink recipe, but if the nutritional profile for the product you are using is similar to Carbo Gain then 2 cups is roughly 180g of carbs per bottle. Consuming that bottle over a 3 hr period provides ~60g of carbs per hr., which puts you at the upper limit of carbs that a human body can process in an hour. If you're also taking in food or other sources of carbs for that same 3 hr ride you may not be getting any added energy benefit.
I just weighed 1 cup of my mix on my gram scale. It weighs 118g, so 472 calories so 942 for 2c. I established the weight per cup about 20 years ago in my kitchen scale, which may not be as accurate as my new gram scale. It's also possible that the malto settles with time. I made up that mix that I just weighed well before Covid, so maybe 10 months ago. I measured the weight per cup of a fresh can of whey protein. It is 94g/cup or 376 calories, so right about 750 for 2c. I could weigh out each serving of mix just to be sure, but it's not worth the time, IMO. I mostly eat to hunger anyway and don't count calories.

So yes, density does make a difference. Who knows where your source found that weight per cup. This source https://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/...oodID=11111317 thinks malto runs 380 calories/cup.