Thread: Disks not ready
View Single Post
Old 02-16-21, 04:23 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
I'm a few planetary orbits below what would constitute an athletic cyclist and a couple of black holes removed from a your average professional racer, and I'm not even in the same galactic cluster as the likes of Chris Froome. My daily riders are almost exclusively a pair of Dahons these days. My "sporting" one is a Mu with good old-fashioned V-brakes; my "pothole crusher" is a late-model Hemingway, factory-equipped with what appear to be de-branded, bottom-of-the-parts-bin Avid mechanical calipers and levers (I figured that they might have been supplied by Avid because they run BB5 pads. My modern full-size hybrids - both with V-brakes) are up for sale; my gas-pipe steel classic is sitting in the balcony, completely disassembled, in search for a replacement frame with good dropouts that's actually my size for a change, but I've all but lost interest in that project altogether.

The Mu's V-brakes work well enough for what they are, how I ride the bike and where. I'm sure the disk brakes on the Hemingway can't hold a candle to even the most basic, entry-level hydraulic disk brakes, or any mechanical TRP, for that matter, but they, too, work well for the way I ride the Hemingway and what I do with it.

Point is, I enjoy each of the two bikes in a different way. That's my current N+1, where N = either one of these Dahons. It doesn't need any more thought put into it than that.

With that being said, while I might be a little curious as to how a possible future Mu or Speed with disk brakes would be like to ride, I can't say that I'm looking forward to the change. In fact, I'm inclined to think that there's a good chance that disk brakes might even ruin the experience. A Hemingway or a Launch with disk brakes might be better for it, but disk brakes could dull the nimble, lightweight feel of a Mu or a Speed. Or they could turn them into better bikes. We won't know for sure until actual Mus/Speeds are available to swing one's leg over. But I'd rather see the Mu/Speed range upgraded to D10 - or even D11 - levels with quality, reliable V-/caliper brakes than merely updating either or both D9's with unbranded, bargain-basement mechanical disk brakes.

This is an irrelevant, pointless, ranty post that's worth much less than ¢2, but here we are.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 03-21-21 at 02:09 PM.