Old 05-29-18, 03:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by octopus magic
This is quite possibly the craziest thing I've ever heard of on this forum. Would someone having a totally authentic Scatto breaking and causing them to crash be just a "racing incident" due to it not being fake? Are you ready to build statistical evidence of testing knock off handlebars for your case? Would any cycling governing body actually condone this.
I'll let him answer for himself, but I took his comment to mean that with a company that's legally allowed to sell bicycle parts in the United States (and several other countries), that there is some sort of recourse (from basic customer service crash replacement up to more serious legal judgements).

With "eBay" parts (the common name for direct-to-consumer parts sold by whoever with no guarantee of warranty or even legal authorization to sell bicycle parts in the US), one's options are very limited.

This is a basic problem that exists with all kinds of goods with White, Gray, and Black Market goods.

White Market being goods that are legal to be sold wherever they are sold. e.g. Nikon USA Cameras with USA warranties. BHPhoto and your local stores do this.

Gray Market being authentic goods but outside of the legally authorized area: e.g. Nikon Japan Cameras being sold on the USA with no USA warranty. BHPhoto does this and they'll say, "No US warranty".

Black Market being knockoff goods being sold with no warranty anywhere. Basically: Good luck...don't call us if there is a problem.

Last edited by carleton; 05-29-18 at 04:07 PM.