Old 06-06-18, 01:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I’m not sure that a generic Carbon frame is any better than a generic aluminum frame? Its all in the design and layup with carbon. Why pay more for carbon when there is not information on it?
I agree.

On a related note,

Here is one particular issue that I encountered when dealing with an eBay aluminum track bike. I think it was a $200 VISP. A local junior (mostly road) racing team had bought some for their juniors to try the track and maybe see if they liked it with hopes of going to junior nationals and whatnot.

One girl and coach were having trouble adjusting her rear wheel and setting the chain tension, so I offered to help. I'm sure that I've set rear wheels in track bikes thousands of times, but for the life of me, I could not get that wheel centered with a decent chain tension.

I figured out that something in the rear triangle was welded crookedly and it was impossible to set the wheel straight. Once you torqued-down the nuts, the wheel was cocked to the side. I looked at the coach and girl and shrugged and said something like, "It's defective. I really don't know what to do. Can you take it back?"

That would be very frustrating for me as an athlete, coach, or parent in that situation.