Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by michigan0626
It would be on paved bike paths and sidewalks only. There are bike paths within the city i am moving to (which is within a quarter mile of the house I am buying), they're just not all connected or flow without having to backtrack to go down a different path. Within a half hour drive there is a trailhead of a 39 mile paved bike trail, which would be a long term goal. And within 15 minutes is a 5 mile loop bike trail around a lake.

Southern Minnesota is pretty flat, unlike Northern New Hampshire which has tons of mountain biking. So it will be easier for me put in longer mileage i think.

My ultimate goal is to lose enough weight and get in shape enough from biking to start adding in jogging; to eventually complete an Ironman. Its a bucket list life goal since i was a kid. But I realize now its better to come up with smaller more manageable goals leading to an ultimate goal. So besides committing to spending a certain amount of time X number of days, my first realistic goal is to bike the 5 mile loop with a 7 RPE without slowing down.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2725661/

This is a link for a 54cm Trek 520 from Pinkbike. It's going for $400 USD so it's within your budget. It may need to be shipped to you as its in Wisconsin, or it you're feeling adventurous you could try to drive and pick it up. I wouldn't mind getting people's opinions of this bike in regards to fit for the OP...

I think the previous post about older mountain bikes is a good one too if you plan on riding mostly on sidewalks and streets. You should be able to pick something up cheaper than the Trek 520 and pour some of the savings into repairs and new gear. One of the pros is you will save money but a con is you may have to spend more to fix it up...
Likes For Chrisp72: