Thread: bike security
View Single Post
Old 04-03-08, 10:57 PM
Keith C. Johns
Dahon Folding Bike Rider

Bikes: Dahon Folder 3 spd, Fuji 12 spd, Panasonic 10 spd, Diamondback 21 spd, Schwinn 12 spd, Honda 21 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dahons can be half-folded to allow them to be wheeled around like a dolly indoors; so they never have to be lifted. I usually drape my helmet, jacket, shoulder bag, etc. over the handlebars, so the composite looks more like a coat rack, too.

In terms of anti-theft, if a thief sees three bikes, one without a lock, one with a light weight lock and one with a heavy lock, which one is least vulnerable? Wrong, it's the one he doesn't see which was folded and taken indoors that is least vulnerable. It is invisible to potential bike thieves once you bring it inside with you. Sure he could break and enter if he sees you enter the building with the bike, but he may have trouble finding it since a folding bike can be hidden in small inconspicuous spaces, sometimes invisible even to people working in the same office or home--but most thieves brazen enough to break and enter probably want something more expensive than a bike, so the folder is still fairly safe indoors.

Left outdoors, bikes are subjected to the elements, to bike thieves, and to vandalism (from frustrated bike thieves who are stopped by your superior lock); only by bringing the bike inside with you can you eliminate these risks.