Old 06-04-16, 02:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Prelude: on both Tuesday and Thursday this week I rode my trainer in the workout area Rowan has created for me. Tis the season to ride inside!

Saturday: 77.7 km outside!

There's a major storm coming. They've been advertising it for days now ... supposed to roll in this evening. So we set off relatively early (11 am) in order to get this ride in before the storm arrived, and yet late enough so that the frost would have melted off the roads.

It was about 10C where we live when we set off, and climbed up the Southern Outlet. That's about a 12 km climb and by the time we got to the top, we were both overheating because we had dressed for cold. I figured I'd be shedding clothes as soon as we got to the bottom of the descent.

But when we got to the bottom of the descent, it was indeed cold ... it had dropped to 8C and then down to 7C while we were riding. That was combined with a little breeze and heavy mist all the way out making it feel quite chilly. I was wishing for winter cycling boots! My toe covers weren't quite up to the job.

We turned around and fortunately the mist/drizzle stopped, and what little wind there was dropped off to practically nothing.

We had thought about stopping for lunch, but opted to just keep riding back home instead. A hot shower and coffee were calling! So we kept cycling back to Hobart and then up and over Bonnet Hill.

Our elevation profile shows one big climb at the beginning, then almost flat, and then another big climb at the end. Variety!

Happily, we did the ride within randonneuring time. Mission accomplished!

There were a number of cyclists out there today ... all bundled up and looking rather cold. So we weren't the only ones.