View Single Post
Old 05-31-09, 07:55 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rumor has it that Yahoo is shutting down Yahoo 360' , the bloggers forum at Yahoo.
So I will now copy and paste my blogs from there over here:

Folks,
I'd like to tell you all about the Fiberglass Ladies Bicycle.
http://mywilson.homestead.com/gallery69.html

The text with the link tells you a little about the styling.
I depended on bikes when I was young because my Mother didn't drive. (She still doesn't.) I thought the bikes I had when I was a kid were inferior products. I saw room for improvement in their design and construction.I set about building a prototype of a new bike in 1986, while I was still in Engineering school.The bike had a Kevlar fairing. I wanted to get to work on a step-thru, or "Ladies" bicycle, but none of the women I was dating were into bicycles, so no one wanted to draw up plans. "I wanna go in a car." was pretty much all they had to say.
Finally, in 1991, Mellisa asked me to adopt her. Mellisa didn't have a dad, she had been living aboard her Uncle's tractor trailer truck from May thru September '91.
Mellisa had a chance to actually drive the Kenworth with a big refrigerated trailer that said "Pork- The Other White Meat".
Mellisa does not believe that 4 wheelers (cars) are very smart. She'd seen a lot of cars wrecked by the side of the road in her travel through 38 of the 48 Contiguous United States. One day she asked her Uncle why the cars get so smushed up but nothing happens to the truck. He let her look under the truck to see where the frame rails meet the front bumper. It's easy to see why a car is a death trap after you've had a look.
Just remember you have to hold the trucks' keys in one hand (so the truck doesn't start up and run you over while you're looking)and a flashlight in the other hand (because it's dark under a truck).
Mellisa designed the fiberglass ladies bicycle with those frame rails in mind, so instead of one inch diameter pipe (tube), we have a fiberglass 4" by 6" with a quarter inch wall thickness. Qarter inch thickness is standard in fiberglass throughout the trucking industry (Mack, Peterbuilt, and Kenworth) It can withstand being sideswiped by another truck.
Mellisa'a Grandfather worked at Grumman building aircraft for the Navy, including the TBA Avenger, and the Hellcat. He taught Mellisa to design fiberglass parts, because she had a few ideas for improving the fiberglass camper attached to the trucks cab.
After trying to find an investor who would beleve me when I said there's a lot of demand for an electric bicycle, I sold the prototype for $1,200.oo in 1999. About a year later electric bicycles went into full scale production in China. To date about 4 million electric bicycles have been produced in China, but most of them are staying in China because Chinese people love them and there aren't enough to fill the worldwide demand.
Electric bicycle prices have acually been increasing in the U.S. because of the law of supply and demand.

For non motorized ladies bicycles, I would suggest a web search under the key words "Women's bicycles"

The Fiberglass Ladies Bicycle is a unique item.
Previously, the only fiberglass bicycle was the Bowden Spacelander.
The Spacelander went into production in 1960. When it became a sucess, Mr. Bowden, the company president, sought to produce a ladies version of the Fiberglass Bicycle.
Every bicycle company builds ladies bikes.Ladies bicycles were introduced to the market in 1886, the same year chain drive appeared. (Before that, all bicycles were high-wheelers. The rider had to straddle the huge front wheel in order to reach the pedals, which were on the front axle.)
1886 was a great year for women's rights. The ladies bicycle was introduced, giving women freedom and mobility they never had before.
Anyway, Mr. Bowden could not get funding to put the fiberglass ladies bicycle into production. Mr. Bowden gave up and stopped making fiberglass bicycles.
So my Daughter and myself built a fiberglass ladies bicycle in 1991. I displayed it as a prototype, but there are still no investors.
Do the math:
Selling price of a fiberglass ladies bicycle= $1200
Cost of materials= $300
That's a 400% profit.
There is no reason for a bank or anyone else to refuse to loan us money. There is plenty of profit to pay the loan back.
I submit this as proof that the bankers are trying to subjugate women.