Old 02-19-20, 12:08 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Thanks Drillium Dude; boy you've got a good memory. I had painted a few bikes before I painted this one but I really wanted a frame with the drilled and tapped Campy RH rear dropout and was having trouble finding a frame with this feature. The frame I found was in really bad cosmetic condition and needed a paint job. Another real bonus was that it was a very early Columbus SLX frameset with the plastic Columbus inserts in the top of the front fork crown. One of the inserts was badly damaged so something had to be done, thus the 'Fountain' inserts. I tried for three years to find the original builder without any success, so I put my name on it.

I also wanted a pretty much complete 1978 bike with a 1978 Nuovo Record, 'Portacatena' groupset (except the 1st gen. SR seatpost) on a 1978 frame. I used a Columbus SL frame decal to make it look period correct even though it's really 1981 Columbus SLX. The frame, along with the Campy gruppo reflects 1978. Haha, haha, no one will ever know.

I based the paint scheme on an English Bob Jackson frame I admired. The paint job is pretty good but the lug lining paint I used did react with the other frame paint. At least I painted the lug lining evenly and it looks okay. I should fix it one day.

FOOTNOTE: Oh yeah DD, my favourite re-finished frame/bike is your raw tubed Colnago. This bike of yours really captured my imagination and I was blown away by your planning and execution. What a great bike and a real tribute to frame building.
Thanks for posting the additional pic, Gary - that's the shot I remember

I guess I'd forgotten that you also crafted and brazed that beautiful head badge, too. Thank you for posting it; what a classy final touch. That whole bike just comes together completely like nobody's business.

I suppose my paint-free Colnago works with its sand-blasted components in much the same way. Understated, but still draws the eye. That's how I like a bike to be!

Btw, I like the "reaction" look to the pinstriping around the lugs. Sometimes when we restore a bike the new paint ends up looking a little too new, you know? That little crinkle to the paint gives it patina that really works against the paint looking too new.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 02-19-20 at 12:12 AM.