Old 04-05-20, 12:24 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
MTBs DO have these silly lows, BTW
If I was in such a place, there would be ZERO chance I would ride DeFaileurs anyway. LOL... Rohloff all the way.
No, mountain bikes don’t have silly lows for what they are designed to do. In my opinion, they have too high low gears. The 1x craze makes for bikes that have gears that are low enough but force the rider to spend a lot of time coasting on downhills.

As for derailers, people tend to give up on them because they don’t understand them. They really are simple mechanisms that are fairly easy to work with as soon as you understand that the cable and cable tension is everything to making them work well.

Regardless, 48/38/28 has the MOST ever useless duplicates, like 11 or 12 so. LOL That is why they went to 50/39/30 that I had on a hybrid. I did find such hills in Vancouver BC, Calgary, Seattle, Tacoma on my tour, and SF. A bunch of these hills I wouldn't ride even on an empty bike and could only barely just push the loaded bike. Must have been 16 - 18%. WTF There are a few here too going up the 200 foot river cliffs. Expecting bike companies to cater to such extremes is laughable. . So is saying you can't push the TOP gear on FLAT land.... If I can't go 4 mph I likely PUSH.
I’m not sure what you are trying to say...”like 11 or 12 so...Huh?...but the 48/38/28 doesn’t have that many “useless duplicates” nor is the 50/39/30 any better. When you compare the two, there really isn’t that much “overlap” at all. It’s difficult to get all the gears but that’s not necessarily how gearing is supposed to work. To ride a close double...which is all a triple is with an extra low gear...you shouldn’t look on it as being a linear shifting system but as a way to transition from high range to low(er) range without huge jumps between. That’s the problem I have with wide range compact doubles which don’t have duplicates but do have shifting patterns that result in huge jumps between the ranges. If you play with the RPM part of those linked gearing, you’ll see that dropping from the outer ring to the inner ring results in the need to increase RPM to ridiculous levels to keep up with the change.

1x systems give you the choice of a high range or a low range but nothing in between. Yes you can go with more gears and have smaller steps but it’s still limited to the same choice. A very large cog on the cassette can give a lower low but the high still suffers. I can match or even exceed the range of a 1x with a higher high and a lower low with little effort. I have the exact gearing as in the last link on my touring bike as well as similar gearing on my mountain bike and they work flawlessly with derailers.

Otherwise, 90% of cities only need a 3 speed. I took a 12,000 mile drive last summer with my 3 speed on top.
In Canada I only found 1 or 2 steep hills in each city, easily avoided. No problem in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City. Any IGH 8 would do.
Look at any video of west Europe and you will maybe find 1% defailleurs. LOL

Actually on my tour with 21 to 115 GI Rohloff14, The top was used far more than 2nd, 3rd and 13th. And I DID use 14th on a flat freeway with a 20 mph tail wind. I was doing 27 to 30 mph.
90%? Do you have data to back that up? Denver, Las Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Alburquerque, Santa Fe, Salt Lake City, etc. are examples against this “90% of cities being flat”. Canada and the northern central US aren’t exactly the best places to find hills. They kind of got ground down a few thousand years ago. Drive through the Inner Mountain West and see how many towns and cities have hills you can avoid.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: