Old 06-29-20, 07:29 PM
mikecart1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
So, REI stuff is typically decent. Not always the very best value (bicycle prices are sometimes on the higher side, unless it's a sale, or an MSRP item like a Scott or Cannondale - then there are deals to be had - and I say this as a longtime member). Still lots of advantages to REI though. They are accessible, have a ridiculously good return policy, and tend to be super client focused in my experience. That, and your dividend sometimes helps offset the initial pricing. That said, I've bought plenty of used bikes, but as others have said, you need to know what you are looking at. I'm still finding used bikes in the $200-$800 range daily, and those include carbon framed bikes - locally on Facebook Marketplace usually. My gut would say if you are just jumping back in, try to get in at a low point of entry. If you spend $400-$500 on a used bike and don't love it, you won't lose much on a flip. If you spend $1100 at REI on a new bike, you will lose more on resale (and house brand bikes will also have lower resale than the more established manufacturers). If you fall in love with cycling, you can then sell that starter bike and in turn spend some extra $ when you better know what you want /need. If you have any buddies who cycle, you might ask them to help you check out some used bikes. I'm sure there are guys like me everywhere, who love cycling so much that they jump at the chance to help friends shop and spend their money. :-).
Thanks! I will have to decide this week as REI has a huge sale now. But yeah the dividend policy makes that bike under $1000 which is nice. It doesn't come with pedals though, but that's not a bad thing. I'd rather be able to get my some of my own stuff.