Old 07-01-20, 08:04 AM
mikecart1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
I will say this about Trek. I bought an aluminum framed bike from them in 2005 with a carbon fork and seat stays. I always said I would upgrade it when it failed. After 12 years I finally sold it (miss that bike), and the guy I sold it to is still riding it. It wasn’t heavy, but man was it well built! If you are more about fitness and flat bar riding than pure road cycling, the FX is a good option. The Specialized Sirrus is similar in build and also a quality bike. I have a Cannondale Quick for a fitness bike, and it is fantastic! Can still ride quickly if I want, but I have platform pedals on it and it’s nice to be able to just hop on the bike and go. Also didn’t cost an arm and a leg. Enjoy the hunt!
Haha kind of excited to see what they have. So glad I found this forum. I think REI is banking on their dividend and support over actually giving a bike worth $1000. Anyways, I do see lots of options from Trek at far cheaper prices but with better parts. I was looking at road bikes, but learned that the handlebars and seat setup are generally designed for people looking for pure speed on flat roads. Thinking of how I will use the bike, I'd rather get something more geared for fitness and the ability to ride flat trails. I can just imagine using a road bike on trails and hitting some rocks or hole and having the bike get damaged because it's the wrong bike for the trail. One of the trails I plan on using is the C&O Canal trail. Not sure if you heard of it. I use it for my ultra marathons. When I did it last year I remember thinking, "man this would be a lot easier if I had a bike LOL". The place I'm going to today has a fitting system so maybe after I explain everything, they will give me something I wasn't thinking about. Thanks again!