View Single Post
Old 07-31-20, 05:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I did not say it was the same.....the comment is to their fear of crashing now and over-braking currently. And yes, I have gone into a curve on a “bicycle” hot and used the same principle and it works if you can control it. The fact is, if you have the training, it is muscle memory to a big degree. Can a cycle tire slip out easier than a motorcycle tire given the smaller footprint of contact area, sure it can. But you are not going into the curve I suspect like one on a motorbike would be so the relativity of it can apply.

If you ever want to see the insane cornering and I digress here as it concerns the OP’s fear, watch the Isle of Man TT’s and see what true insanity on two wheels can be.

To the OP, my friend you just have to get back on the saddle and work through the fear my friend. Good luck.
You survived doing it. Physics however tell us that you decreased your margin of safety, not increased it. While dragging the rear brake slowed you, and made you feel safer, you decreased the friction available to corner, i.e. the friction keeping the wheel from sliding and you from falling, and thereby increased your risk of falling
Stay off the brake at that point, and you have more friction to corner,are further from from the limit of sliding out and falling, and in the process are faster and smoother through the turn.

It all come back to an inviolable principle of physics. Tire grip can be used to accelerate, brake or corner. Grip expended for one is not available for others
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.