View Single Post
Old 07-31-20, 08:23 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RFEngineer
I crashed coming down a mountain road in May. I basically ran off the road during a turn and tumbled. Broke a rib and a vertebrae. For the last 3-4 years I've been doing a lot of riding up and down mountain roads, with fast descents. I've gone out a few times since my recovery, and I'm pretty timid about descending. I brake a lot so I'm not screaming down these hills, but my bike wants to go fast. Obviously, I don't want to crash again, but I'm worried I may crash because I'm trying to brake too much.

How do I get over this? I really don't want to injure myself again, but I want to enjoy cycling again.
Don't try to rush it. You need to ease yourself back on that horse.

I was in a terrible high speed crash in '86. For 5 years, every time I passed about 15mph, I would start reliving the last two seconds before I wiped out.

That's not safe -- riding at speed safely requires you to relax and control the bike with a gentle touch. When I quit forcing myself, it took years to build back up the speed I once had. Now, I can do 40+ with one hand on the bars while I give a fredly wave to someone coming uphill or bomb down at 50+.

Ride what feels good to you, not what you believe others think you should ride. It's not just about fear but what's fun for you. If you're riding your brakes all the time, that's a sign that maybe another type of hill might be better for you unless you're into the brutal climbs