Old 02-06-18, 09:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Spring is Coming: rain planning thread
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
used to commute so I used to ride in the rain. now I prefer foul weather of the frozen sort. the big challenge I remember used to be the rear rack trunk bag. I eventually resorted to using a big ugly thick plastic compactor bag (out of desperation).

I just put the whole trunk in the bag, then lashed it to the rack. albeit this was for the torrential downpours. now for wet sloppy rides I use a simple rain cover. of course combined with the obligatory "waterproof" trunk & fenders
FYA, last year I replied to this thread, it's finally raining,who's gonna go play (see picture below)
is anyone out riding in the rain just for fun?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I didn’t ride my 14 mile one way commute to work for fun this morning, about 10 miles in heavy rain, but it was the shakedown cruise for my new beater (but quality) Specialized Diverge Elite road bike. Right now the big fan is drying my clothes for the ride home in about four hours.

I spare the carbon fiber bike from wet roads to keep it clean. I also have aheavy duty mountain bike I now reserve for heavy-duty-studded-tire-winter riding. The Elite rides almost as nicely as my Carbon Fiber.

On one rain-riding thread, someone described road spray as a mixture of grease,road grime and liquefied road kill...you call that fun?
well done sir! nice setup! why cover the rack trunk with plastic inside?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have a nice new Topeak Trunk Bag, but I am not sure how water resistant it is. Topeak has a nice rain cover accessory, but it was not available when I purchased, so I’m using a large plastic bag secured with a bungee cord.
re: road spray - you reminded me that on my old commute to W Newton there was a section at the 117 overpass over 128 where the sewer overflow smelled like a septic tank. I didn't realize what I was riding through until it was too late. needless to say, that was the end of sips from the water bottle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3176.jpg (94.1 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-06-18 at 10:09 AM.