Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 837:

Ice. Lots and lots of ice. A thin layer completely covered the ground making the roads treacherous. For some reason the city didn't put down pre-treatment (even on the main roads) so traffic was pretty gridlocked as cars struggled to get up hills.

I probably should have ridden the winter bike with studded tires, but I have been lax in getting it ready for the season so it is still in storage. I dropped tire pressure on my new fat bike and rode slowly. Went around one corner and lost traction, but managed to keep the bike upright. I was only going about 5 mph anyway, so it wouldn't have been a spectacular crash.

The MUP was in worse shape than the streets as far as ice. I went super slow as there's a lot of curves. On one hairpin (where I've gone down in past winters) I decided to just hit the ditch and ride through the weeds rather than risk the icy pavement. That's one benefit to a fat bike.

Temp was 26F and there was a 15 mph headwind. Between that and the ice it took me a full 1/2 hour to ride the 4 miles to work.

AWESOME Fatbike Keep on Rolling @tundraman