Old 11-06-19, 10:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Autumn hasn't been that much to look at here; it was too dry and hot in September, and too wet in October, for much fall color.

That said, I found a corner where the oaks and maples both managed some brilliance. It's not a mountainside, but it's a roadside of fall!

Sounds like your urban canyons are interfering with the GPS signal, right? The easy prescription would be to fall back to a traditional wired or wireless speedometer/cyclocomputer. But if you're as gadget-happy as I get sometimes, maybe it's time to add a speed sensor!
In upstate New York, where I spend weekends, the colors are spectacular. Sorry they're not where you are.

My theory is that cloud cover distorts the speed readings and the urban canyons distorts the path I'm on. When it's sunny, I am shown riding through buildings but not usually varying widely in speed. I've thought about adding a speed sensor, but it would only work on one bike, and I have too many bikes. But I've decided that speed isn't really that important. It's interesting, for sure, but when I see distortions like these, I learn to ignore them. I'm really interested in tallying miles, and it's accurate enough for that. I love gadgetry, but I have to draw the line somewhere, or I'd be buying too much.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.