View Single Post
Old 05-25-20, 08:13 AM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Also the lug work is really rough I see really rough spots on the lugs and visible space between the lugs and frame tubes so yes likely south American as said.. Yet it has really nice paint and stripping typical of south american bikes..
Argentinian industries of the 70s and 80s were comparable in quality to most western manufacturers. This is not any "south american bike", implying that anything that comes from South America is probably **** to some extent. It was not until the 90s, when privatization, cuts and mindless corruption took over that a lot of the local industries were closed or sold to foreign manufacturers. I'm ready to bet that this is actual Raynolds tubing. Depends on the year of course, but counterfeit was extremely rare in the 80s in Argentina. If it said "Industria Argentina", you were pretty much sure that it was high quality stuff. My parents still have some utensils "made in Argentina" and they are over 30 years old and still work perfectly. They also have a tendency to translate everything (like Beatles lyrics), so I wouldn't be surprised if they made their own decals just to have them in Spanish.

TMYK

Last edited by Mushrooom; 05-25-20 at 09:32 AM.