Old 01-15-19, 08:21 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Hope you come out ok too. I can't image you have what I've got (HCM), and still go riding with studded tires in the wind. But if you do, I've got lots of education to share

Nope, it's all meatball
I have congenital aortic stenosis. Basically I was born with one too few flaps in my aortic valve. I was diagnosed seven years ago when I was 42. The doctor said that the cycling/running/swimming I've been doing most of my life is probably why I was able to go so long undiagnosed. It has progressed to the point where the doctor says he'll do the surgery as soon as I give him the OK, but it hasn't progressed to the point where he's going to put his foot down and tell me I can't wait any longer. Every year when I go in for my barrage of tests they're amazed with how active I am as compared to how bad my heart sounds, so I guess I'm thankful that I'm still out there riding and doing stuff. And the doctor says the more active I can be the more I will likely be able to postpone the surgery.

Mine too will be meatball. I need a replacement valve put in, and given my relatively young age I have to have a mechanical valve. Tissue valves only last about 15 years so they usually only put them in older folks. Tissue valves can be done through the vein, but mechanical valves require the chest to be cracked.

From what I understand, they're doing clinical trials in Europe on mechanical valves that can be installed through the vein. I'm hoping to stave off my surgery until that procedure is perfected and is allowed to be performed in the US. I really don't want to have my chest cracked.