View Single Post
Old 07-15-19, 07:34 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Before I ever started thinking about it, I thought it was pretty much the wheel rim that needed to be made airtight for going tubeless and some goo installed for sealing any possible leaks around the bead seat and help with punctures while being ridden.

Now that I'm looking for some new tires, I'm seeing many of them advertised as tubeless by both retailers and the tire manufacturers. So what is going on here. Is this just marketing or is there some real design difference? Do some regular tires just let too much air permeate through their rubber compounds?

Mainly though, I'm wanting to know if I can put a tube in these tires called tubeless?

Clinchers, not tubular..........if anyone needs that clarity.
Are you starting with wheels that are tubeless compatible? If they are not, stop looking at road tubeless tires. The difference between road tubeless and regular road clincher tires goes beyond the tires. You need wheels with rims designed for road tubeless tires. Me? I started off with wheels specifically designed for road tubeless tires. The rims don't require tubeless tape, and I don't have to worry about leaks. The tires that I have used don't even need sealant to hold air, so I often have not used it. I would never buy any wheel for road tubeless use that required me to install rim tape