Thread: Newb
View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 01:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by harvillo
I made the plunge...

After riding for months and really enjoying it I finally stepped up and bought a bike. It's a nice bike that should get me beyond a few years (Canondale Synapse Carbon - disc with ultegra), and was a great price. I have picked up the safety gear, tools etc. Read through countless articles. Have simulated tire changes at home and, last but not least, tipped over when learning to deal with cleats.

That being said...
How to you migrate into getting into a group? Everyone is so fast and I still need to lose some weight. Do you just go a part of the way, or go solo for awhile until you have some endurance?

Other than the rules of the road, are there any courtesies I should be aware of?
If you bought your Synapse from a local bike shop, I would ask them if they know of any local rides or clubs that are suitable for newbies. Keep in mind that the term "group rides" comprises a huge spectrum of rides from super-mellow rides from pub to pub, to club rides with cue sheets and published speeds, to the Tuesday Night Worlds which are essentially unsanctioned all-comers road races.

You will probably want to start with something where there is a ride leader, an agreed upon route and pace (with or without cue sheets), and a no-drop policy. When you go to your first group ride, let the ride leader (if there is one) know you're new. Hang around the back to get used to feeling the draft and don't worry about taking a pull.

Beyond the rules of the road, the universal etiquette of group rides means showing up self-sufficient. Meaning have your own means of fixing a flat or minor mechanical, and water and food if you need it. Call out hazards, particularly potholes or bad pavement. Call out cars passing.