View Single Post
Old 08-09-19, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I am so glad I do not live in a city and have to contend with this sort of thing.

The purpose of the outer layer is to keep the grinder wheel from being able to reach the steel part. A larger diameter grinder will have more reach to the wheel that would allow the wheel to reach the steel core and defeat the lock. Grinders larger than 5" are also pretty bulky things so a thief is more likely to move on to another bike.

Take a look at their video, it locks around what look like standard bike racks. The lock is on an entire different scale from standard bike locks...
The video and the photos all show one specific type of rack, and always locked around the top tube from above (not side to side). I'm thinking they chose the rack and the size of bike for a specific reason (it doesn't look suited to other types, IMO). At best, this is a very small niche for the product.

Obviously, this lock does nothing to secure either wheel. I don't think there's any getting around that leaving expensive bikes unattended outside is always going to be risky no matter what you lock them with.