View Single Post
Old 08-12-19, 02:03 PM
Debba1C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I had a much funnier version of the pedestrian thing about 2 weeks ago. I will add it here to lighten the mood...

One section of my commute, about 75 yards worth, is on a sidewalk. (Don't start debating that. I assure you, it is the only realistic option)

Anyway, it's in an industrial zone with almost zero foot traffic. I see a pedestrian maybe once per year on this stretch.

But 2 weeks ago I see a pedestrian up ahead of me. Maybe 40 yards out. She is walking towards me but looking straight down at her phone.

When I see a pedestrian I come to a full stop. I don't want to get bumped and end up on this road of certain death. Nor do I want to hurt a pedestrian.

So I stop the bike and hop off the saddle. Both feet on the ground. I nudge the bike over to the far right, touching the trees along side the road. Giving plenty of space to the pedestrian who has still not looked up from her phone.

On the front of my bike I have 2 day time running flasher lights that can be seen from Saturn. Still...she doesn't look up as she gets closer.

Finally she gets within 2 feet of me, still looking down at the phone, when suddenly she notices my totally stopped bike. (With the flashing lights she should have seen 30 seconds earlier)

She freaks out, jumps up in the are startled, and yells "You scared me with that thing!!!"

I didn't even know how to react. I opted for laughing.

Keep in mind I'm at the start of this 75yrd stretch. I am basically right at the corner of a major intersection. I look behind me as this lady passes because I'm curious....and sure enough she's immediately back looking at her phone and just walks across the street without ever once looking up to see if there was traffic. (There wasn't. She lived.)
OMG! That could have been catastrophic for that pedestrian. Seriously! Look up from your phone when you're walking!!!