View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 06:08 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 857 Posts
For lock-and-leave usage, my "grocery" bike needs no "lightweight" or "competition" pretensions, so just about any Goodwill-sourced $60 bike will do (adding in the effort/cost of tuning it up and outfitting with an accessory or two).

I guess then that it is perhaps fashion-conscious riders of newer/better bikes that might need extra protection, not that someone won't someday try to steal my locked-up old Supersport that looks like it has spent much of it's 50 years in the city.

A ten to fifteen-years-old lightweight carbon bike can be bought for around $600 and is light enough to be carried around after the ride is over. I've seen riders who remove the wheels and put their bike in a shopping cart while making purchases at WalMart, and for that matter I have wheeled my road bike through a less-crowded store (where parking the bike isn't usually allowed). Some markets allow a bike to be stowed in an unused checkstand aisle during low-traffic hours (I've been invited to do this).

What burns me up is employers who won't provide any safe place for a commuting employee to park their bike, even when there is plenty of space inside where the bike won't get in the way.
And the excuse that "insurance" won't allow a bike inside of a building, should be a law against that!

Last edited by dddd; 08-13-19 at 06:13 PM.