View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 07:07 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
For a few times, when a group of kitted-out, older cyclists on road bikes would, occasionally, pass through my old neighborhood (it looked to me that they were practicing racing each other, very largely spaced out, with large distances between them; sometimes, two or three cyclists would be together and then there would be cyclists who were a quarter of a mile away), I used it as an opportunity to cycle on the busy, main road, rather than slowly on the sidewalk (because drivers were aware of all of the cyclists and giving them enough space by moving over into the left lane and leaving the right for the cyclists.

I didn't follow them for long, just for a short stretch of road, before going back on the sidewalk (because there was a large gap between the cyclists and drivers were moving over into the right lane); I was travelling in the same direction, was curious as to whether or not I could keep up with them, and I wanted to arrive more quickly at my destination.

I didn't bother asking them whether I could cycle on the road, in between their very large gaps; just attempting to say, "Hello" and lift and hand in greeting got me no reply. Cyclists who cycle alone, here, are the ones who usually say "Hello" to me.

So, I understand why some cyclists who cycle alone are a bit wary and unsure of whether or not group cyclists might be friendly toward newcomers, as, in certain areas, it seems some choose to be more cliquey and focused on their own racing.

Last edited by anon06; 08-13-19 at 07:16 PM.