View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 08:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'm going to give the guy at the LBS the benefit of the doubt, and assume that when he said twisted he meant crossed-over. When fishing the cables through the downtube, it's pretty easy to cross the FD and RD cables over one another, so they would be rubbing, and result in poor shifting. It's not entirely uncommon for pre-built bikes to come from the mfr. this way.

As to the cables breaking off at the hood, unless you have older Shimano levers (like say 5700/6700,) or haven't changed the cables in a decade, it's not much of an issue.
I wouldn't be so quite to dismiss the mechanics assessment. If you look at the cable housing on the left shifter in this picture, you can see a bit of a twist in it.

noodles small by Stuart Black, on Flickr

It started to shift poorly and when I took it apart, the rods inside the outer plastic sheathing had broken loose. The ends of the rods will come out of the ferrule and cause the cable to jam. This isn't the same housing but it's the same problem

IMG_1361 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

This is what it looks like without the ferrule

IMG_1362 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The housing in both cases had an odd "twist" to the housing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: