Old 03-12-09, 10:47 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
whew.

I'm back from my little "mid-winter tour". Managed to grind out 77 miles today on a semi-circular route from Providence RI back to Boston.

Headed west into a stiff, cold wind on 14W out of Providence across the Scituate Reservoir- still big chunks of ice but gorgeous on a cold sunny day. Then swung up 102 N to Woonsocket. Snaked through Woonsocket and zig zagged my way through Franklin and on up to Newton.

I was sooooooo slow. Part of it was the wind and my new front bag was giving me some grief. But 14 W actually has some tough climbs, as does 102. Lots of potholes, tons of sand and RI still has some of the most airhead of drivers, and I really wonder about how legitimate their car inspections are- so many cars with bad mufflers, non-working brake lights and body damaged.

Had some nice help for directions from some guys at a Sunoco in Woonsocket- one of the guys who worked there was a cyclist.

But it was tough- the daily commute keeps me fairly fit in comparison to the average person but I felt like a pretty out of shape cyclist today- the only thing impressive about today's ride was that I didn't wimp out and I got home in one piece.