View Single Post
Old 09-29-19, 10:20 AM
am0n

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Brake track ding and Big ring wear

Just bought my first road bike and it has a few things that I didn't feel were deal breakers but wanted some opinions on.

When braking, I noticed a periodic sound and inspecting the front wheel I found a ding on the brake track. Doesn't seem to impede the braking, but slight annoyance coupled with brake wear concern. Anyone have thoughts on how to "smooth" this out?

The front brake seems stiff when I try to manually close it, but it still functions fine. I did see a video on GCN on how to clean them, so I'll give that a go. That said, the front seems to require I pull a lot more than the rear to engage. Might be simply cable, but how do I know if there cables need replacing? Owner had no idea when that happened last, but did have it in for a tune up recently.

The rear cassette seems brand new, and the small ring seems barely used. However, the big ring seems to have some wear. Looking at the replacement, some teeth look asymmetric even brand new, but does this appear excessively worn to anyone?

Link to brand new
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-105-5750-Chainring-Black-50T-110-BCD?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrMHsBRCIARIs AFgSeI1I1WfpFnvoxIoR5-w6AIoxPjcZTYR3bUExjN_Gmv7xflySR3IX0T0aAvzvEALw_wcB