Old 09-02-19, 11:19 AM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just hit year 10 racing. Although this year, I raced only a small fraction of previous years and was done by mid-April.

I simply realized I absolutely had grown to hate riding and training. Stopped racing and started focusing on bike commuting to work and started to enjoy the miles for the first time in many years.

Looking back at the last 10 years, my only regret is that the year I started racing was the year my first kid was born... then quickly two more came... timing sucked! Never really got to see how I could do with some real volume training. 4 hours a week of training is tough to be truly competitive in P123 and 35+ racing. After a while of finishing 12th/45 you ask yourself if the bodily risk is worth it anymore.

TL;DR - agree with other posters and if you want to continue riding, find a niche you love - maybe it's CX, TTs, MTB or whatever stokes the passion. If you come back to racing... or not... it will be for the right reasons if you do. If the gym or running or something else if calling, don't look back.
Likes For Matt2.8NJ: