Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
cog
[käɡ]
NOUN
cogs (plural noun)
  1. a wheel or bar with a series of projections on its edge, which transfers motion by engaging with projections on another wheel or bar.
sprocket
[ˈspräkət]
NOUN
sprockets (plural noun) · sprocket wheel (noun) · sprocket wheels (plural noun)
  1. each of several projections on the rim of a wheel that engage with the links of a chain or with holes in film, tape, or paper.

Just say'n!
As long as we are being pedantic, I object to that definition of sprocket. That is the description of a sprocket tooth, not a sprocket. Elsewhere (wikipedia, for example) points out that a tooth on a sprocket is also called a cog so that description meets the meaning of cog. And, besides that, as long as we're being pedantic, it should be "each [...] engages with the links of a chain[...]"

But, people call sprockets cogs and sometimes it sounds/feels better to write sentences in which the subject and verb do not agree in number. Just the other day I learned that in today's world, the proper singular of dice is dice. I'll get over it.

Many years ago I was informed of "Skit's law" which states that it is nearly impossible to identify and point out a minor mistake in writing or usage without making at least a minor mistake while doing it. Usually I obey Skit's law, no matter how I try to avoid it.
Likes For desconhecido: