Old 07-23-19, 05:03 PM
GUMK

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
...what do you see (or smell, feel, hear) that motivates you to keep pedaling along your commute?
This morning was a perfect example of what motivates me...multiple traffic jams due to collisions on the major routes into the city I work in. Local trains delayed due to signalling issues. Local news full of the disruption...and none of it bothered me.

It was very hot for my part of the world (27°c North East England), I was able to just 'tootle along' at my own pace, passed approx 150 cars stationary in traffic jams, picked several 'side routes' to avoid the worst of the disruption and arrived at work taking an extra 5 minutes, whereas a number of colleagues were over an hour late.

Knowing I can choose my route and my pace has really helped me to de-stress at work, I'm on MY timetable, not worrying about connecting buses and trains, I'm far more 'chill'.

Strava, keeping track of my miles (just hit 2500 for the year), the sense of achievement that brings me.

In short, cycle commuting helps my mental and physical health, THAT is what motivates me, especially when the weather is not so friendly.

Last edited by GUMK; 07-23-19 at 05:08 PM.