View Single Post
Old 02-28-18, 06:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 1,835 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
In the part I quoted above, you go on a bit about how horrible the new walkable community looked in the planning stages and and then how horrible it turned out to be and then you go on to say "no big deal". Yes it is a big deal, and apparently you thought so too.
It is all relative to the frame of reference. In terms of what that small community will do and is doing to that part of that river at this period of time ... i cannot think of any benefits. But there are three million children dying every year from diarrhea simply because we cannot provide clean water or cheap filtration.

Over time we are doing massive damage to the rest of the biosphere ... but i doubt we can kill all life on the planet. A shame we kill as much as we do for so little gain.

But ... everything changes, all the time. One death isn't a big thing out of billions of lives. One species lost isn't big deal in a million years. Ten thousand years of humans tearing up the planet won't mater in twenty thousand years ... so one community polluting one stretch of one river isn't a thing.

However, we can only change the stuff around us .... i don't know how to stop disease and starvation. I can fight a hazardous waste incinerator planned for the area, but I can't stop the production of hazardous waste.

Sometimes the best thing we can do is just talk with people around us ... protests and lobbying doesn't always matter, but just talking to people ... they see that rational intelligent people think about things and care about things that are different and in different ways .... strange ideas (like LCF) can come to seem normal ... I don't want to push people. We all have our paths to follow and by following or own paths we do the most good ... IMO.