View Single Post
Old 02-06-20, 04:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I’m not sure you’d want to leave your vehicle parked overnight at the Smyrna Trailhead for security reasons. I’ve ridden from Smyrna to Anniston and back with overnight stays in Jacksonville. I’ve always left my vehicle overnight in the Publix parking lot in Smyrna with no issues. The trail extension goes right beside the parking lot.

Others have suggested staying the night before in a hotel close by on Hwy 280 and Highlands Parkway, like Comfort Suites. You could get permission to leave your vehicle parked there while you ride.

Pay attention to road crossings around Smyrna.....busy traffic plus other users of the trail during the day.

I’ve always ridden it out to Anniston and back over two days but others have taken longer. The Silver Comet Trail is about 60 miles from Smyrna to the end at the GA/AL state line. From there it’s about 35 more miles to the trailhead of the Chief Ladiga Trailhead in Anniston. The entire length of the trail is paved.

Rockmart has a bathroom and water available beside the trail. Cedartown is about half way for both trails and has lodging there. Stop at the depot there for any cycling information. Piedmont has always been a good lunch stop for me going out......a new bakery there or they also make sandwiches in the grocery store. You can eat at the gazebo at the trailhead office in Piedmont. I use Cedartown for lunch on the return trips. Also there is a Citgo just a couple blocks off the trail at the Coots Lake Trailhead you might find useful for refreshments.

There is a really good site for the SC trail and Chief Ladiga Trail on Facebook you might check on. They can provide you with real time updates on detours and closures. Steve Rowland is the admin and you can request to join the group. Nice folks!!!

Last edited by jppe; 02-06-20 at 04:53 AM.