Old 03-19-20, 09:06 AM
Bahloo7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to biking

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

(DnvrFox, the original poster to this thread, no longer posts in the 50+ forum.)

DnvrFox, the OP
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Hello I am 53, changing up my sports from Equestrian endurance riding to biking...more specifically Triathlons. I ride a Specialized Transition TT bike, and a Specialized Tarmac Pro roadbike

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I take B vitamins and a Multivitamin

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I dont believe I have slowed down really, just enjoy recreating outside

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I have been biking about 1 year

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Enjoy long rides and touring

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
2 to 3 times a week, average 15 to 20 miles

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I am 53