Old 03-08-24, 12:51 PM
whtmtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've probably told this story before, but apparently not in this thread.

I had a calcium score scheduled on a Thursday. Monday night, I had an MI, SCA and the whole nine yards. It was pure dumb luck a cardiologist was walking down the hall in the ER and saw my wife, with whom he worked. Called in the interventionalist, got a stent, lived to tell about it. The interventionalist cardiologist who put the stent in told me a week later, "You would have passed the calcium score, your arteries were pretty clean except for that one clot that almost killed you."

When I was at home and wife went back to work, it took her a few hours to clean my record at the cardiology practice. I'd been labeled "non-compliant" because I was in the hospital and missed the test. Laying about in the hospital coming out of anesthesia? That was no excuse!

If there's a moral here, it's that calcium scores aren't everything. It's probably worth having a cardiologist do a work-up on you if it's doubled IMHO, but I'm not representing your insurance.

Thanks and sorry to hear about your MI. Friend had a similar arrhythmia incident on an exercise bike in a gym across the street from a hospital. Paddles and MDs working out saved his life of 58 yo. Cardiologist on calendar so will see what he says. Unfortunately many times if you don’t ask or push for things they tend to assume all is fine given the extremis of many patients.