Old 02-21-19, 07:31 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Happened to me too many times, riding a motorcycle and bicycle. They always say the same bull*****: "Oh, I didn't see you!"

That's why I observe the Idaho Stop, as described by an actual Idaho bike patrolman.

If a stop sign intersection is clear, I'm slow rolling through.

If there's a car behind me and the rest of the way is clear, I'm not even slowing down. Even if there's another vehicle approaching from ahead or the sides I'll roll through after making a snap judgment about whether they'll reach the intersection before me. I always assume the driver behind me will hit me.

At red lights I stop and go as soon as the way is clear. If there's a vehicle approaching me from behind and doesn't seem to be slowing I'm going, or at least turning right.

Always minimize your time spent in any intersection, whether stop signs or traffic lights. Those places are kill zones.

Don't blast through heedlessly or recklessly. How you do it depends on your own reaction times, comfort zone and conditions. But it's never a good idea to linger at, in or near an intersection longer than absolutely necessary.
Agreed.

Intersections are the most likely place to have a collision.